This summer you will be able to play math games and compete against each other. Today you will learn how to setup a competition. Click on the image below to access the arcademics website:
We are finishing the school year off with keyboarding. This week the students will get an introduction to keyboarding and start learning keyboarding skills by using Type To Learn in computer class. They will start by doing a pretest which will determine which lesson they should start on and what their Words Per Minute and Accuracy goals should be.
Here's a draft version of the Jamestown book:
Here's a Draft version of the American Revolution book:
Here's a draft version of the Civil War Book
Here's a draft version of the Virginia book...
The class is working in groups on I Spy history books. They are writing 4 books - American Revolution, American Civil War, Jamestown, The Five Regions of Virginia. They are currently doing research on their books. Here is a link to the project.
Sorry I haven't put in an entry in a while. This past month we've been working on spreadsheets. We did an introduction to spreadsheets where we reviewed some terms like column, row, cell, sheet, etc. We also talked about how spreadsheets are used to calculate, sorte, and graph.
CALCULATING - We did an activity where the kids solved math problems from the workbook and then verified their answers using a spreadsheet.
SORTING - The students entered their word study words and sorted them alphabetically. This is something they do weekly for class, but they all agreed it was much faster on the computer. Then they had some fun sorting compound words, where the first part of the compound word was in one column and the second part was in another. They would only sort one column. It was fun to see what kind of silly compound words they could create.
Today we will be working on our Picnik photos. Picnik is a photo editor run by Google. It will be closing on April 19th. The good news is, they are making all their premium features available to everyone for free! The students will need to:
We are starting a unit on Digital Photography. Today we will:
* Watch a Brainpop movie called "photography" which reviews the history of photography and gives some hints on how to take a good picture.
* Watch a Brainpop movie called "cameras" that describes how cameras work (both film and digital).
* We'll talk about pixels and the terms "mega" and "giga".
* I'll show the students how to download photos from a camera and put the photos into a folder on a computer.
* The students will access their photos using Windows Explorer.
This week the students will be practicing their multiplication skills using Powerpoint. Here is an example of the activity:
In this activity, the students will learn the following skills:
· About Microsoft Powerpoint
· How to start Powerpoint (what the icon looks like)
· How to change the page layout
· How to change the text in existing text boxes
· How to add clip art
· How to select an object
· How to size an object
· How to move an object
· How to copy and paste an object
· How to select multiple objects
· How to group multiple objects
· How to add text
· How to change the way text looks (optional)
· How to change the design of the Powerpoint (optional)
The students are doing a great job with their Jamestown Glogsters. Today we'll be wrapping them up. I'll be handing out the final edits.
The Glogs (online posters) are coming along nicely. Nick, Nicholas, and Judson are the only one left that needs to do their recording. Everyone else should be finishing up their posters. I've reviewed them and made comments. Please make the suggested changes. Also please check the following:
Here are some links to some sites that you visited at Jamestown. It might help to refresh your memory.
- How Does It Work?
- Parent Resources
- Class of 2014 >
- Class of 2015 >
- Class of 2016 >
Class of 2017
Class of 2018
Class of 2019
Class of 2020
- Grade 4 Blog 2015-2016
- Class of 2020 Grade 5 Blog
Class of 2021
- Class of 2023
- Kindergarten Blog 2014-15 >
- Grade 1 Blog 2015-16 >
- Class of 2024 >
- Class of 2025 >
Archived Home Pages
- Grandfriend's Day 2016